15 Awesome Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Amazingly in 1518, a “dancing plague” struck Strasbourg, Alsace, France whereby hundreds of people danced fervently in the streets over the period of a month. Some suffered heart attacks or strokes, and many others died from sheer exhaustion. The phenomenon still remains unexplained.
- UPS had problems recruiting drivers when expanding in Germany because the brown uniform looked like Nazi Youth Group uniforms. UPS had to change the color to green.
- Amazingly the German invasion of the Soviet Union caused 95% of all German Army casualties that occurred from 1941 to 1944.
- Amazing Fact is that some older/less efficient worker termites will develop ‘backpacks’ of toxic chemicals that explode when the termite is threatened. They are essentially used as suicide bombers when the colony is being attacked.
- It’s amazing that when a mountain was found to be taller than Australia’s highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko, their names were swapped so that Mount Kosciuszko remained the highest mountain in Australia.
- After French soldier Jean Bernadotte (1763-1844) showed kindness to a few Swedish soldiers, he became so popular in Sweden that the Swedes decided to make him their king in 1818 when a vacancy came up, despite him never having set foot in Sweden before. The House of Bernadotte rules Sweden to this day.
- It is possible to travel from Portugal to Vietnam solely by train. At 17,000 kilometers, this is the longest train journey in the world
- Arnold Schwarzenegger made $75,000 for his role in Terminator, but in Terminator 2 he made $15,000,000 about 7 years later (200 x) .
- There was a Great Hedge built by the British across India primarily to collect the salt tax. It was 4000 km long and 12 feet in height spanning from Western Punjab to Eastern Orissa. None of it remains today.
- In 2012, amazingly an entire city in Zimbabwe was instructed to flush their toilets at the same time to unblock sewers.
- Amazing fact is every time you shuffle a deck of cards, you are almost certainly creating an arrangement, which the universe has never before seen.
- There are more variations in the game of chess than there are atoms in the known universe.
- The Higgs boson is nicknamed ‘the God particle’ not because of its fundamental role in the universe, but because Leon Lederman, a theoretical physicist who wrote a book about it in 1993, called it the ‘Goddamn particle’, as it was so difficult to observe.
- Some police stations in China use geese instead of guard dogs to keep watch at night. Geese are very territorial and have better vision than humans.
- There is a giant tornado the size of Europe, with two separate and independently moving eyes at different altitudes, over the south pole of planet Venus.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team