15 Engrossing Facts | Amazing Facts 4U
- Amazing fact is in 1913, it was legal to mail children. With stamps attached to their clothing, children rode trains to their destinations, accompanied by letter carriers. A newspaper reported it cost 53 cents for parents to mail their daughter to her grandparents for a family visit.
- Sylvester Stallone talks the way he does because of complications his mother suffered during labor. This forced her obstetricians to use two pairs of forceps during his birth and misuse of these accidentally severed a nerve and caused paralysis in parts of his face.
- NASA have their own special agents, who are armed, have arrest authority and can execute search warrants.
- Amazing fact is North Korea has a “three generations of punishment” system, where individuals found guilty of a crime are sent to the labor camps with their entire family. The subsequent two generations of that family are born in the camp and live their lives locked up inside.
- In WWII, the US Army asked Americans to loan their dogs to the war effort. The dogs’ handlers even sent letters home to their owners for Christmas and to inform them of their dog’s performance throughout the war.
- The US government paid $200 billion dollars to cable companies to provide the US with Fiber optic internet. They took the money and didn’t do anything with it.
- Amazingly a 19th century surgeon once tried to amputate a patient’s leg in under 150 seconds. In his haste, he also amputated his assistant’s fingers and slashed through the coat of a spectator. Both the patient and the assistant died of gangrene, and the spectator dropped dead of fright. It is the only instance in recorded history of an operation with 300% mortality rate.
- To be a London black cab driver, one is in fact expected to know over 25,000 roads and 50,000 points of interest and pass a test called “The Knowledge”. Amazingly to pass the exam, applicants usually need twelve appearances and 34 months of preparation.
- In the 17th century, pirates in fact operated democracies (before any traditional western powers) and even had a system of checks and balances. Also, they had a form of disability insurance .
- Russell Crowe , an actor, film producer and musician was born in New Zealand not Australia. However, despite living most of his life in Australia, identifying as Australian, and appearing on Australian stamps, he was refused Australian citizenship in 2006 and 2013.
- In ancient Egypt, any books found in ships coming into port, would be brought immediately to the library of Alexandria and be copied. The original would be kept in the library and the copy given back to the owner.
- There have been numerous instances of people getting cockroach infestations after cable companies installed used cable boxes in their homes .
- After the extinction of the dinosaurs, there was a turtle that was in fact the size of a car and could eat crocodiles.
- In 1770, the British Parliament in fact passed a law condemning lipstick, stating that “women found guilty of seducing men into matrimony by a cosmetic means could be tried for witchcraft.”
- A sailor in the British Royal Navy may only grow a beard if they can achieve a ‘respectably full enough beard’ after two weeks’ growth.
By Amazing Facts 4U Team